Client Bill of Rights
A Sterling Medical Services, LLC (“Sterling”) client has particular rights. Sterling requires that clients provide medical and personal information necessary to plan and provide services. Sterling asks that clients treat Sterling personnel with respect and dignity. Sterling clients have the right to:
- Be informed that Sterling is a provider of disposable medical supplies and be informed of any changes in supplies that will impact client charges.
- Know about Sterling’s ownership, control and referral relationships.
- Be treated with dignity, courtesy and respect, and to receive service that meets professional standards, regardless of race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, lifestyle, social status, age, or disability.
- Be able to exercise his/her rights at any time.
- Be aware that the client's designated representative is authorized to exercise their rights.
- Confidentiality of their records, and the ability to review, challenge, and have those records corrected for accuracy.
- Receive Sterling’s Notice of Privacy Practices regarding the disclosure of clients’ records.
- Be informed of the processes by which Sterling handles billing and payments and any charges to the client prior to the shipment of these supplies.
- Receive complete explanations of charges for services and supplies, including eligibility for third party reimbursement.
- Request contact information of Sterling, CHAP, and the client’s state home health toll free hotline. The CHAP number is 1-800-656-9659.
- Be fully informed of the process for filing, reviewing, and resolving complaints or grievances and have the ability to express dissatisfaction without reprisal or unreasonable interruption of service (see abridged grievance procedure below*).
- Have relationships with Sterling employees and contractors that are based on honesty and ethical standards of conduct.
- Timely order processing of home health medical supplies.
- Receive complete explanations of all forms they are asked to sign.
- Accept or refuse medical treatment and the right to execute an advance medical directive.
- Be referred to another agency if dissatisfied with the services or when we are not meeting your needs.
*Sterling clients have a right and a responsibility to avail themselves of the company’s grievance procedure if the need arises. Clients can express concerns, dissatisfaction, and complaints about products and services without fear of reprisal or unreasonable interruption of service. In order to register a complaint, clients should feel free to call Sterling at 1-800-291-8500 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM (EST) and ask to speak to the Manager of Corporate Compliance & Regulatory Affairs.
Sterling’s formal grievance procedures ensure that client concerns are reviewed and investigated as soon as is immediately feasible following a complaint. Every attempt will be made to resolve all grievances within 5 business days, and clients will be informed in writing of the resolution.